Soft Adhesives Division Bylaws
1. The Division shall be known as the Soft Adhesives Division and shall be a Division of The Adhesion Society, Inc.
2. The function of the Soft Adhesives Division, hereafter referred to as the Division, shall be to assist the dissemination of scientific and technical information in areas of interest to the Division. Topics of interest to the Division include, but are not limited to, synthesis, applications, structure-property relationship, rheology, coatability, testing, performance prediction, formulation, theories of PSA, and bridging the gap between the industry and the academics for a better understanding of PSA technology. Membership in the Division shall be open to any member in good standing of The Adhesion Society.
3. Membership in the Division shall be open to any member in good standing of The Adhesion Society.
4. Officers of the Division shall consist of a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and a Secretary-Treasurer that will serve for a one (1) year term. With the exceptions noted below, a new Vice-Chair will be elected every year by the membership of the Division for a term of one (1) year. Coincidently, the current Chair will become the Immediate Past Chair and the current Vice-Chair will become the Chair of the Division. These officers and the Immediate Past Chair shall constitute the Divisional Council. The Secretary-Treasurer Office shall be filled or left vacant at the discretion of the Division Council. Any member of the Division can be nominated for the position of Vice-Chair and whoever gets the highest plurality of votes shall be deemed to have been elected to that office. The Chair of the Division shall be a member of the Executive Committee of The Adhesion Society. The Executive Committee of The Adhesion Society shall decide on the methods of distributing and counting ballots. The Chair of the Division shall be responsible for the day to day running of the Division. The Chair will run Division Council meetings and, in case of a tie vote on any issue brought to that council, the Chair's vote will be the deciding vote. The Vice-Chair will assume the role of Chair for the remainder of the term should the Chair not be able to fulfill their term or has become temporarily incapacitated. The Vice-Chair shall also have the authority to decide all issues normally left to the Chair if the Chair is unavailable for any reason. Those decisions should be reviewed by the Chair as soon as possible. The Divisional Council will appoint a committee to nominate candidates for the position of Vice-Chair and if so desired the position of Secretary-Treasurer. In addition, nominations from the membership-at-large of the Division shall be accepted providing those nominations are seconded, as evidenced by a signed petition by at least 5% of the membership of the Division and that such a petition is submitted to the nominating committee in time to be included in the ballots, in accordance with the provisions of these bylaws. The first set of officers of this Division shall be appointed by the Executive Committee of The Adhesion Society. This will comprise a Chair and a Vice-Chair, and shall serve until the first election of Division officers.
5. The Division shall organize and run a symposium consisting of at least one session of orally presented papers submitted by members of the society or guests at each of the general meetings. The Division Council may appoint a Symposium Chair. In addition, the Division can designate that certain of the presentations be made at the general poster session of The Adhesion Society. All presenters will submit an extended abstract publication in the Conference Proceedings, according to the procedures of The Adhesion Society. The Division shall hold an annual meeting of the members of the Division Council and a general business meeting, which shall be open to all members of The Adhesion Society. Said meetings shall be held at the annual meeting of The Adhesion Society. The Division Council shall also have the authority to conduct additional meetings of the Division Council when deemed necessary by the Division Council.
6. The Division Council members will attend the annual planning meeting and identify session topics of interest to the Division, assuring representation of the Division’s interests in the Annual Meeting of the Adhesion Society.
7. The Division Council shall have the authority to assess dues, if necessary, to members of the Division for the purpose of funding Division related activities not funded by The Adhesion Society. All money collected shall be turned over to the Treasurer of The Adhesion Society. The membership fees for the years 2017-2018 shall be $0.00 and shall remain so unless specified otherwise for a specific year.
8. These Bylaws can be amended or changed by a simple majority vote of the members of the Division and a simple majority vote by the Executive Committee of The Adhesion Society.
9. These Bylaws shall become effective upon acceptance of the Executive Committee of The Adhesion Society.
Revised February 2017.